English, Bilston, 18th century, patch box. These memento boxes were popular at the end of the eighteenth century and frequently given as tokens of friendship and love. They were also purchased as souvenirs while traveling. They frequently started with the phrase “A trifle from...” as seen on this box. Usually oval in shape, but also circular and rectangular, their decoration reflected the popular styles of the day. However, this box is particularly unusual in its mention of Blockley...
English, Bilston, 18th century, patch box. These memento boxes were popular at the end of the eighteenth century and frequently given as tokens of friendship and love. Usually oval in shape, but also circular and rectangular, their decoration reflected the popular styles of the day. For example, by the 1790s Neoclassical style swags, doves, hearts, and borders were the most commonly used decoration of the day.
Allover cracking. Small losses to the lid, one side and the bottom...
Unusual metal mounted
black glass dresser box with enameled decoration of
flowers and a figure with
bee. American, 1870-90.
Attributed to South Staffordshire, England, Possibly Bilston, late 18th century. The “gingham finish” was principally produced in this area. By placing a piece of cambric over solid ground color and then applying white enamel this finish was achieved. The three dimensional decoration was also found in the area. It was normally created by applying several layers of enamel. In addition, the unusual heart shape has been found in other Bilston boxes...
Fine Antique Grand Tour Souvenir Column, having a square marble base and turned marble shaft with laurel leaf decorated gilt metal base and a Corinthian capital.
Base 4.5" x 4.5"
(once mounted as
a whale oil-lamp,
Antique Carved Ivory Riding Crop in the form of a horse’s head and a sterling silver collar with the face of a fox. American, circa 1870.
Antique Japanese blue and white two piece compote with frilled edge, veined body and applied and painted floral decoration. Late 19th century.
Rare Small Yellow Glazed Elephant-form Childs Bank, probably one of the Bennington potteries, American circa 1850.
(The potter had probably never seen an elephant since he gave it a long horse-like tail)
4" x 2.5" tall (minor chips consistent with age)
Exceptional pair of antique French Gilt Bronze Fireplace Chenet in the form of Dionysian children seated on a plinth and eating grapes, and with foliate and cyma curved decoration. 18th/19th Century.
Each Approx.: 12.5" x 12.5" x 5.5 deep
American Arts & Crafts Brass Tea Caddy, octagonal with domed lid, hammered and engraved button decoration
and raised on ball-and-claw feet. Circa 1900.
Diameter (Top): 4.25”
On Monday January 3, 1752, the Dutch East India Company, (Verenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie, VOC) ship Geldermalsen, struck a reef on her return journey to the Netherlands and sank in the South China Sea...
Fine Antique English Bottle Form Porcelain Vase with painted and gilt floral decoration and openwork neck. Probably Royal Worcester. (now wired as a lamp with an openwork brass base).
Height to top of neck: 15.25"
Antique Masonic Gold Presentation Cane, inscribed “Presented to. Worshipful Bro. John Lee, member of Lg. No. 382, Dec. 22, 1876” with a Rosewood Shaft
17th-century Dutch (Delft) tile, tin glazed with painted decoration of ship in full sail
Frame size: 10.5" x 10.5"
Two 1/2 gallon stoneware jugs from Alexandria Virginia, made at the Wilkes Street Pottery by Benedict C. Milburn, circa 1865: One with his stamp and "Alexa" the other with the stamp of the merchant E.J. Miller who had a ceramics shop on lower King Street. Height of each: 8"
Pair of Northern Bobwhites (Colinus Virginianus). Native to the Eastern US and Mexico, these ground dwelling gamebirds of the quail family are extensively hunted and can be found year round in grasslands, open woodlands and wood edges. They are noted for their loud call announcing their name (bob-WHITE, bob-bob-WHITE).
Dimensions of the Case:8.25" x 8.25" x 13"
Pair of 18th Century Irish Silver Berry Spoons, the bowls with a gold wash, Michael Keating, Dublin 1796
18th-century English Transferware Patch Box; Now known as Royal Leamington Spa, the town of Leamington began its prodigious spa industry in 1784 when it began building baths around its salt springs. Consequently, the image on this patch box displays a Classical figure holding a caduceus, a symbol of the medical community dating back the sixteenth century. Thus, it is safe to say that this could have been produced no earlier than the last quarter of the eighteenth century...